Severna Park Community Center Has A New Website
For quite a few number of years this was the website for the Severna Park Community Center.
Content is from the site's 2013-2015 archived pages.
If you have inadvertently ended up here while looking for the Severna Park Community Center go to their current website which is found at:
Severna Park Community Center
623 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd.
Severna Park, MD 21146
Severna Park Community Center
Started in 1995, the Center began as an outreach to the community from Woods Church when it was purchased from the YMCA of Severna Park.
The Center is no longer affiliated with the YMCA, and was renamed The Severna Park Community Center to reflect its openness to all in the community. SPCC holds is own mortgage and is a non-profit organization supported by an Executive Director and a working Board of Directors comprised of 16 members of the greater Severna Park Community.
SPCC is a non-membership facility. You pay only for the program or activity of interest.
In 1997, through the gracious donations of members of the community and a small amount of county funding, a $6m renovation and expansion began, transforming the corner of Cypress and B&A; Blvd. In Severna Park into a state-of-the-art public recreation and meeting facility. The Severna Park Community Center is the only one if its kind in the area.
Though the building is complete, SPCC continues fundraising to pay off the cost of the expansion and the remaining construction debt.
Highlights of the campus include:
• 36,000 square feet of meeting and recreation space for public use
• Two pools – one 25-yard competitive and one heated therapy – managed by SPCC Aquatics, home of SPY Aquatics
• Three dance studios, home of the Dance Center of Severna Park
• 6,500 square-foot gymnasium with volleyball and basketball set-ups for use by individuals or organizations
• Three large meeting rooms and two activity/meeting rooms.
The campus also includes the 3,200 square-foot Holy Grounds Youth Center, available for meetings and activities, and a bricked outdoor plaza. All space is handicapped accessible.
All facilities (meeting rooms, gymnasium, Holy Grounds, pools) are available for rent to the public.
When we moved from Severna Park to Baltimore I spent some time looking at local family owned Baltimore movers before choosing Hampden Moving & Storage, a Maryland moving company. I liked the fact that it was a family owned and operated Moving Company, whose employees included fifth-generation family members. And my intuition was spot on after a Hampden Moving & Storage representative visited with us and provided a detailed, written, estimated cost for their services, as well as tips for moving, packing, and storage. From a moving point of view we certainly received, as promised, their Red Carpet experience. But the move to a new city was difficult for our kids. They were leaving friends, entering new schools, and would no longer be able to enjoy the programs and activities at the Severna Park Community Center. Although I checked out the local schools the kids willl attend in Baltimore, I am going to search out suggestions as to the best local community centers in our new city. Needless to say we will all miss the Severna Park Community Center.
Mission & Vision
To offer programs and activities that enrich and enhance family life, community life and individual development in a Christian environment open to all.
The vision of the Severna Park Community Center is to become a center of our community -- a place of meeting and ecumenical ministry; a place where social justice is promoted, family life supported, recreation and good health encouraged, art and beauty treasured, and where cross-generational contact is valued.
In serving the Center's neighbors, we will remember the least serviced -- alienated youth, discounted seniors, the needy, the physically and mentally challenged, and those who have either forgotten or never been told they are God's beloved children.
The Severna Park Community Center is committed to the principle of non- discrimination in its programs, policies and practices in a manner consistent with its Christian foundation. Members of the surrounding community, regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, sex or physical or mental disability, are encouraged to participate in our programs.
We hope the friends and neighbors of the community will join hands to make the vision for the Severna Park Community Center a reality.
Become a "Friend"
The Severna Park Community Center is a private non-profit organization with no membership requirements and is the only privately supported Community Center in Anne Arundel County. Your generous donations are always appreciated.
Monday through Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Building Operating Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 6:00am - 10:30pm
Friday-Saturday: 6:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 1:00 - 9:00pm
SPCC Planned Closures for 2013
January 1 -- New Year's Day
March 31 -- Easter Sunday
May 27 -- Memorial Day
July 4 -- Independence Day
September 2 -- Labor Day
November 28 & 29 -- Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after
December 24 & 25 -- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
December 31 -- New Year's Eve
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY:
We are closed during active inclement weather periods when it would be unsafe to be out on the roads. We follow Anne Arundel County Government Office closures (announced via television and radio) for full day building closures. If Anne Arundel County Government Offices are open, we open as soon as our parking lot and sidewalks are cleared and safely accessible. Call 410-647-5843, Ext. 104, to check on our opening time and schedule.
Please note that our Aquatics Program may operate on a different schedule. Call 410-647-5843, Ext. 104.
Dance Classes for Ages 3 to Adult
Summer Camps 2013
Join us for another summer of fun here at SPCC. We will offer Junior's Junction Camps for Elementary and Middle School Ages with before and after camp options.
- Your campers will enjoy swimming in our indoor pool, time in the gym; art projects; cooking, mission projects; field trips (up to 2 a week); and Fitness/Zumba/Yoga
- Or register in person by completing the forms below and bringing them into the SPCC office.
- For changes or additions to camp registrations, contact the SPCC office at 410-647-5843, Ext. 202 or 204
- All camp forms (see below) must be completed and sent into the SPCC office to complete your registration.
- Minimum reservation deposit is $25 plus $225 or $250.
- Payment in full for your summer is due by June 1, 2013, unless you have made different arrangements with the SPCC office. You will receive a reminder/invoice.
Time: 7 weeks of fun -- Begins June 26 and ends August 9, 2013. Hours for both are 8:30am-4:30pm.
Cost: Cost for both is $225 with a $25 per child one-time registration fee. Pay non-refundable $25 registration fee and $225 towards your total due at registration. Balance of tuition is due by June 1, 2013.
Before Camp Options: SPCC will offer a before care option for campers from 7:30-8:30am for $35 per week.
After Camp Options:
- SPCC Aquatics will offer after camp swim options from 4:30-5:30pm for $35 per week and 4:30-6:30pm for $65 per week.
- Artworks Studios will offer several weeks of after camp art from 4:30-5:30pm; $85 tuition.
- Chelonia Eco-Adventures will offer several weeks of after camp programming from 4:30-6:00pm; $100 tuition
- Financial Futures Now will offer several weeks of after camp programs from 4:30-5:30pm for $45.
|Week||Elementary Camp Theme||Middle School Camp Theme|
|Around the World in One Week||B'More Adventures|
|SPCC Pride - Float for SP Parade||Around Town in Anne Arundel County|
|Game Time!||Celebration of our Nation|
|SPCC Crime Scene Investigation||SPCC Crime Scene Investigation|
July 29-Aug. 2
|Imaginarium (Science)||All Drama|
|Water Works||Water Works|
2013 Forms for Camp:
Summer Planning Form (Both Camps)
Summer Camp Registration Form (Both Camps)
Health History Form
Parent Permission Form
Medication Authorization Form (NEW THIS YEAR -- needed if you send in sunscreen and bug spray)
Camper Immunization Form
Severna Park Community Center & SPY Indoor Pools
623 Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard
Severna Park, Maryland 21146
The Holy Grounds Youth Center
(located next to the Severna Park Community Center)
617 Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard
Severna Park, Maryland 21146
Parking is shared by both buildings. Our personalized brick plaza is between the two buildings.
From Annapolis Using Route 2 / Governor Ritchie Hwy Headed Northbound:
• Turn left at Cypress Creek Road (Stop light).
• Follow Cypress Creek 1-1/2 blocks to Summit Road.
• Turn right at Summit Road. Go to the 1st stop sign.
• Turn left at stop sign and then left again in 1/2 block into the Severna Park Community Center parking lot (marked with a sign at the entrance).
• You may also park in the Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church parking lot and walk down using the stairs or driveway
From Baltimore Southbound Using Route 10 Exit Off Beltway:
- Take exit for Route 10 South off Baltimore Beltway following signs for Route 10 South to Severna Park (You will need to move to the right lanes after merging with Route 100) following to its end at a red light.
- Turn left (south) on Governor Ritchie Highway / Route 2 towards Severna Park
- Turn right at McKinsey Road approximately 1 block to light at B&A; Boulevard.
- Turn left at Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard (light) and go 1/2 block.
- Turn left into the driveway marked with the sign "Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church".
- The parking lot entrance is located immediately on the right beyond the gray Holy Grounds Youth Center building marked by a sign.
- Additional parking is available by proceeding up the Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church driveway. You may park in the Church's lot and walk down using the stairs or driveway.
From Baltimore Southbound Using I-97:
• Take exit 10 to Benfield Road toward Severna Park
• Follow Benfield Road approx 5 miles to Evergreen Road Stoplight across from the Severna Park High School
• Turn right onto Evergreen Road and follow it to its end at Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd.
• Turn right for 1/2 block on B&A; Boulevard.
• Turn left at Cypress Creek Road for another 1/2 block. Turn left onto Summit Road (a sign for both the Severna Park Community Center and Woods Church are located at this road).
• You may park in the Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church parking lot and walk down using the stairs or driveway.
Leases and Rentals
Is SPCC the right facility for your party, program or event?
SPCC is a multi-use facility and we have many rooms in use at the same time. This can impact our parking lot, create movement within the building, result in sounds coming from surrounding rooms, and even impact the layout of the room (things displayed on walls or storage units added temporarily to a room) We can be a very happy and busy location so please consider this as you plan your party, program or event!
Here are some of the features here at SPCC:
- We provide tables and chairs at no charge up to the number we have available in each room.
- We provide custodial support whenever our Center is open.
- We have front desk staff to help your guests and participants find your party or event.
- We provide free internet access in our lounge and in Meeting Rooms 1, 2 & 3
- We have one portable PA System, one LCD Projector with Cart, one portable projection screen and two TV/VCR/DVD units available for $25 each.
- Smoking is restricted to outside smoking stations. Alcohol may be permitted for certain events on a case-by-case basis.
- We rent in half hour and full hour increments. Pricing below is given in full hour increments. We separate bookings by 30 minutes to give our Custodian time to clean and re-arrange the room for the next event.
- You will need to reserve enough time in the space for your set-up and clean-up time. If you provide us with detailed set-up instructions, we will try to have the tables and chairs in place and ready for you to set-up.
Contact the MaryAnn Neal for availability at 410-647-5843, Ext. 303. Normal Center hours of operation are Monday - Thursday from 6:00 am - 10:00 pm. Friday and Saturday from 6:00 am - 11:00 pm and Sundays from 1:00 pm - 9:30 pm.
Pool hours differ so visit www.spccaquatics.org for the schedule.
All programming and rentals are subject to the approval of the Executive Director of the Center. Prices for rooms and terms are effective July 1, 2012.
SPACES AVAILABLE FOR RENT
You may view details and pictures of any space by clicking on the name. Prices effective July 1, 2012.
tdL52 Dance Studio - Lower Level
|M1 Meeting Room - Main Level||33' x 17.5', tile floor||35 Meeting Style||
$47 Single Use
|M2 Meeting Room - Main Level||31.5' x 32'; carpeted||65 Meeting Style||
$79 Single Use
|M3 Meeting Room - Main Level||33.5' x 26.75' , carpeted||60 Meeting Style||
$79 Single Use
|M6 Fitness Center - Main Level||
Contains our exercise and weight equipment.
Rental requires special approval.
$53 per hour
$47 for multi-users
|L50 Gym - Lower Level||100' x 65' , multi-use flooring||885 Meeting Style
412 Banquet Style
$105 Single Use
|L51 Activity Room - Lower Level||19' x 40', tile floor||50 Meeting Style||
$37 Single Use
|46.5' x 32.75', specialized floor||N/A||
$53 Single Use
|L53 Activity Room - Lower Level||26.5' x 31', tile floor, sink and counter in room||58 Meeting Style||
$42 Single Use
|Holy Grounds Youth Center - Separate Building||
80' x 40', wood floor, serving kitchen, stage area; capacity 140 people
Deck is 50' x 12'
$85 Single Use
6 lanes - 25 yards
See Aquatics Director for more information
NOTE: Room capacity decreases with use of tables -- Banquet Style